on
Monday 17 November 2014

Why is it that we only believe the bad things people think or say about us? 
It's like we're programmed to ignore all the nice things people say in favour of replaying all the bad things over and over again.

A few weeks ago I was at a wedding when someone leaned over the bar and told me I looked stunning. He wasn't some creepy old man or someone who was trying to hit on me. He was simply a really nice person who felt the need to give me a compliment. It wasn't that I thought I looked terrible, I just didn't look anywhere near stunning. I would say I looked ok at best, and that was mainly down to what I was wearing. It's hard not to look ok when you have a long red dress on. 

Surely I can't be the only one who finds it hard to accept a compliment. Even yesterday, I couldn't believe what my best friend was telling me. She sent me a text describing me as one of the prettiest people she knows. Instead of just accepting what she said, I decided to replay the horrible thoughts implied by other peoples actions.  

I've been bullied before and I had a horrible trolling experience earlier this year when people posted things like "What happened to your face or are you just naturally that ugly?" to me on Twitter. That was when the whole Moyesy thing happened, and it was not a nice experience at all. But I think sometimes all this is why I find it hard to accept it when people do want to say something nice to me.

The logical thing is to accept the 10 lovely things before say against the one horrible thing someone else thinks. That makes sense, even to the most unlogical mind. That should even make sense in my mind. So why is it that I still continue to think everyone is just being nice to make me feel better, rather than having any truth behind their comments? Yet I can't shake off what someone else thinks of me.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment