Fringe Times: Week One

on
Sunday 3 August 2014
So I guess the Fringe is finally here. After three years working non-stop during it, I can actually spend some time seeing shows, drinking, and hanging out with friends this year. 

Since I couldn't really go to The Stand launch party this year, I went to catch up with some people I haven't seen in a while before it. I went to have a look round the new Stand 5 venue before visiting with some of the guys at Stand 3 and 4. Then I went for some tea (or juice if you don't like tea) and catch up with Seymour, Gavin and Kate. 

I'd managed to get some free tickets through work for The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo so I spent Thursday night there. I'd never actually been before, but it was easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. It was press night, so it was a little ruined by the photographers running around and getting in the way of the performers. At some points the dancers couldn't do their routine properly because they just stood in their way. The whole thing made me feel really proud to be Scottish. If Alex Salmond wants to get more yes votes, then he really should do some campaigning when people are leaving the show. 

Despite my reservations about the big firework display at the end of the night, it was actually a really great show. I don't think i'll be rushing out to see any again soon, but maybe next time I see some I won't be having an anxiety attack about fireworks next time I see some.




On Friday I finished work at 5 and went to meet up with Cara and Emma for our first night of proper Fringe shows. We went to Espionage first to catch a free show before going up to the BBC village and then onto see The Axis of Awesome. 

Cara and Emma have been fans of them for years now, and they really didn't disappoint at all. It's weird how much you miss when you're working so much. I did feel like a bit of a traitor for hanging out at other venues, but it's also nice to actually explore the Fringe a bit more. 


On Sunday I headed back to The Stand to hide out in the tech box with Will and watch a couple of shows. Stephen K Amos was fantastic and I would recommend him to anyone who hasn't seen him before. I also stuck around to watch Rob Rouse for the first time. He was great too, but I really wish there had been more people in to watch his show.

Next week I'm planning to see lots more shows including Buffer, Simon Munnery, Seymour Mace, Bridget Christie, Simon Amstell, Damian Clark, Tony Law and then dance the night away in The Jazz Bar for the first time.

I'm also planning to sleep for more than three hours a night. Bring on week 2! 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment