2014

on
Sunday 28 December 2014
2014 has certainly been a roller coaster ride of a year.

I made some pretty big decisions concerning my career and diet, lost some friends, gained some better ones, got mistaken for a football manager, and my heart got pretty bruised along the way.

I guess the first major thing happened in January when I decided to change my diet and become vegan. I said I'd give it a year, but it's something that I'm going to carry though 2015. I feel healthier than I have in a long time, and lost a few pounds that I'd been trying to shift for a while. It's opened my eyes up to foods I never thought I'd eat, and now I've become one of those people who could eat kale for every meal. I discovered just how accommodating restaurants can be to dietary requirements, which was the one thing I was concerned about. I've also realised how amazing my friends are because they let me drag them to vegan restaurants and never complain once. 

So life was ticking along pretty normally until March when this happened....


It still feels completely surreal and almost like it didn't even happen. I can't quite explain what it feels like to have that amount of attention in such a small space of time. I still remember coming out of a hospital appointment and having messages telling me The Sun were parked outside my flat waiting to speak to me. Then the next morning I woke up to find myself splashed across every newspaper you could find.



It wasn't just the media attention that was difficult to handle. My Twitter followers increased by 2,000 and with it came some pretty horrible comments. I found the extreme ones easier to brush off, but the constant stream of people telling me I was ugly took a good few months to shake off. It's now been 9 months since it happened and I'm still getting the odd tweet about it, but luckily it's nothing like it was before. 

One of the best things to come out of the whole thing was Graham Linehan tweeting a link to this blog. Then the Huffington Post got in touch to ask me if they could post it, and asked if I wanted to start writing for them. I've written quite a few posts now that you can see by clicking here. The one that seemed to get the most attention after my David Moyes one, was this one about Scottish Independence. It ended up getting 2k likes on Facebook and over 300 comments which was a little overwhelming to say the least. I know it wasn't the most amazing piece of writing, but I do still take it very personally when people comment on things I've written. I guess having thicker skin is something I need to work on a lot next year. I've had a bit of a writers block since then, but 2015 is going to be the year of putting my writing first. 

In April, I left The Stand Comedy Club and moved a few minutes along the road to take on the role of Press Officer at the Edinburgh Playhouse.


It's been a pretty big jump up from what I was doing before, but I've loved every second of it. I've always been a fan of musical theatre so to work for the biggest theatre in the UK is pretty amazing. There's nothing like standing at the back of the audience watching Defying Gravity to make you feel like you have the best job in the world.

It's the first job where I've been able to travel a little, and I get the chance to take journalists to other venues to see shows. I feel like I've really pushed myself out of my comfort zone and for the first time in years I feel really confident in my work. I've also made some great friends at the theatre which makes going to work lots of fun. 



This year, I also got to attend three wonderful weddings. Due to being skint and no one at either wedding knowing each other, I wore the same dress to all three. 

In July, I got hang out with my best friends from high school and watch our friend Lisa get married. It's strange to think we left school over 10 years ago, yet we can still hang out like nothing has changed and have lots to catch up about. 

In August, all the uni girls came together to watch Jen get married. Her wedding was special because I know her husband well, and it was lovely to see them so happy.

Then in October, I got to see all my old work colleagues from The Stand at Eva's wedding. Her wedding was exactly like I'd want mine to be if I ever get married, and it was just nice to catch up with people I hadn't seen in a while. 








2014 was also the year of getting to see people I never thought I would get the opportunity to see live.

I saw Taylor Swift in February!!! I know people make fun of me for liking her so much, but I don't even care. She is literally my favourite singer, and she sings about things I have written in my diary. In fact sometimes I'm convinced she's secretly read it and written about every situation I've found myself in.


I also got the chance to see BJ Novak and Lena Dunham this year. I wish I had a better photo of Lena, but the ushers kept telling us to put our phones away every time we attempted to take a sneaky photo.



Last month, I took on another blogging job for Metro. I've only written two blogs so far on Bond Girls and Zoella, but it's going to be something I do a lot more next year.


I think that pretty much sums up 2014. So here's to 2015 being filled with just as many adventures with some of the best friends a girl could ask for. 



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment