Two Munros And A Corbett

on
Wednesday 25 May 2016
Last weekend, I went up to Pitlochry with Edinburgh Young Walkers for a weekend of climbing. It was first weekend away with the group, and I managed to climb two Munros and a Corbett.

Saturday
It was pouring with rain when we woke up on Saturday, and the forecast said it was due to rain for the entire day. We decided not to venture too far, so picked Ben Vrackie for our morning climb. The walk started off through woodland so we had some shelter from the rain, but for most of the climb it was raining really, really heavily. I managed to stay surprisingly dry under my clothes, but walking in rain that heavy is never much fun.

Since we were all wet and cold, we headed back to the hostel for a hot shower and lunch. Some of the group decided to do a river walk, but the rest of us headed to the pub for an afternoon of relaxation before more climbing on Sunday.


Sunday
Most of the group set off around 7am on Sunday to try and beat the rain forecast for the afternoon. We drove as close to Carn Liath as we could get, then it was a 4km walk to the base of the Munro. The climb itself was a lot harder than I had anticipated, as the ascent was really steep. Most of the group were a lot more experienced, so the pace was set faster than I would have set it if I'd been walking myself.

We reached the top faster than anyone of us expected so we had a bit of a rest before setting off to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain. It was a fairly flat ridge to the second Munro, but then the ascent was bigger than I was expecting. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't already been walking for a couple of hours, but I was pretty shattered as we made our way to the top.
By the time we reached the top, the cloud had cleared and we got pretty incredible views. It's also the first time it's been nice enough at the top of a Munro for me to be able to sit down and admire the scenery.

So that's 3 Munros down, and only 279 to go!!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment