HAPPY SIX MONTHS VEGAN BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

on
Sunday 6 July 2014
If you haven't guessed it already, this week marks six months since I decided to change my eating habits and become vegan. I made the decision from the start that I wasn't going to commit myself to it forever. These days forever is something that almost never exists, and the last thing  I want to be known for is quitting the choices I have shouted about for months on end. The thing is, right now I honestly can't see myself going back to how I was before.

My dad was concerned that I was making it socially awkward for myself, but i'm managed to pass the major eating hurdles without any problems at all. If i'm eating out then I take my friends to vegan friendly restaurants like Henderson's in Edinburgh or Stereo in Glasgow. If we go to a normal restaurant then i'll find something to eat. It might not be my first choice, but I can always find something on the menu. I went away for a hen party and the restaurant we went to was able to adapt everything so I could have soup without cream, pasta without cheese and even something sweet to finish it off. I've got two weddings this year and both brides to be have said they can supply a vegan option for the meal. The only downside is i'll miss out on the wedding cake, but at least i can eat myself full at dinner.

My dad wasn't the only one who raised concerns back in January when I started to tell people what I was doing. Some people just simply didn't understand. I should probably point out that these were the people who had a diet that consisted of junk food, takeaways, cigarettes and a lot of alcohol. But of course, it would be rude of me to comment on their diet. Others seemed worried about how I would ever manage to get my daily intake of protein. It just so happens that one cup of pinto or kidney beans gives you 15 grams of protein, so really there's no need for people to be too concerned.

The best thing about it all is how healthy I've felt. I don't get that horrible bloated feeling you get after eating lots of junk food. I still feel a bit tired, but that's due to my over thinking mind keeping me awake than anything else. I've not had a proper cold, a sore throat or any sort of flu related illness in months. I don't feel run down at all, in fact i feel better than I've felt in years.

I know this kind of diet isn't for everyone and i'm sure people will continue to question me whenever I tell them about it. But instead of asking stupid questions (i'm happy to answer serious ones) i wish people would look into it a bit more. It's an incredibly healthy way to live, and i'm pretty sure i'll be feeling even better in another six months time.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment