I CLIMBED MY FIRST MUNRO!!!

on
Monday 15 February 2016

I DID IT!! I climbed my very first Munro at the weekend. This picture was taken at the top of Carn Gorm. We set off from Edinburgh at 7am and parked the car to start climbing about 9.30am. The conditions were great at first with clear skies and snow that wasn't too deep. It didn't take long for the snow to become really deep though, and at some points we were trying to make our way through snow that was up past our knees.

The worst bit of all was the wind. It got stronger as we climbed higher, and I had to dig my ice axe into the snow at points to stop myself blowing over. I almost cried because my hands were so cold at one point too, and I did think I could lose a finger to frost bite. I know it might seem like an exaggeration, but my fingers were FREEZING, even with gloves on.

We had also planned to climb Meall Garbh, but the conditions and visibility was so bad at the top of Carn Gorm, that we decided just to head back down. The walk back down was so much easier, especially when were sliding down as if we were sledging.

I'm hopefully going away to climb another Munro in a few weeks, and then I'm planning a weekend away climbing in May.

1 Munro down, and only 282 to go.

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment